Since the COVID-19 virus was first recorded late last year, the pandemic has spread around the world. Affected countries are desperately trying to build up supplies for healthcare workers and public as well as utilize technologies to fight the virus. This special student design competition organized by the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society (CASS) and sponsored by Synopsys aims to create technology solutions aligned with Circuits and Systems to help break the chain of infection of the COVID-19 virus. The technologies can be geared for diagnostics, treatment, surveillance, and prevention, targeted for specific communities (such as nursing homes, refugee camps, etc.) or the public at large.
The competition will take place as a virtual event. The teams submit their demonstration videos (at most 10 minutes) together with reports (using the provided template) stating the main achievement, the relevance to the Circuits and Systems technology no more than 5 pages excluding appendices. The judging panel consisting of the CASS experts from all over the world selects the winners.
The winning team is invited to join the Final Phase of 2019-2020 CASS Student Design Competition, which will be held during ISCAS 2020 in Seville (11-14 October 2020). The CASS will provide a travel grant of $1,200 USD within Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (Region 8) and $1,700 USD for the travel from other regions, and ISCAS registration fees, for a maximum of three team members, who must be IEEE CASS Student Members.
- The teams should have from 3 to 10 members, that must be full-time high school or university students (including graduate students) (at least until 31 December 2020)
- Each team should have at least one mentor, that must be faculty members. The mentors are not considered as team members.
- At least 3 team members must be IEEE CASS Student Members for 2020
- Technical quality
- Relevance to the Circuits and Systems technology
- 1-31 May 2020: Registration for the competition from here, please submit the registration form here
- 31 July 2020: Deadline for uploading the video and report from here
- 21 August 2020: Winner is announced
- 12 October 2020: Live demonstration of the CASS SDC during ISCAS 2020